Friday, March 05, 2010

One of my favorite quilts

This is one of my favorite quilts. I do have quite a few favorites, but this was my most time consuming quilt at the time I finished it in 1993. It was based on a quilt I saw in an issue of Quilter's Newsletter magazine and I ordered the back issue from 1982 with the pattern in it. I love the contrast of fabrics and I hand quilted it with pink thread. I sent a photo of this quilt to Country Woman magazine and they published the photo in 1995 in the blue ribbon winners section.
This is a top I finished the borders on this morning. The blocks belonged to my late friend Debi and they were from a swap in 2000. She gave the blocks to me last summer and after she passed away last month I got them out and had them on my design wall. This was her layout and her border/sashing fabric. It's a little busy, but it is a special memory quilt as the blocks were made by a lot of people we both knew.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hand Quilted feathers look so nice in the white space! And Debi's quilt isn't too busy... It's pretty fabric. Was this from a SWAN swap?

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wow - amazing quilt - and Deb's qiult is wonderful - such a great thing to wrap yourself in memories.

Sharon T in Napa said...

I think they are both just wonderful. Do you have any plans for Debi's quilt?
Are you enjoying posting everyday?

floribunda said...

I'm really enjoying your virtual quilt show, Julie -- what a variety!