Monday, June 03, 2019

Sew Many Strips Quilt

I finally finished piecing the top for my Sew Many Strips quilt.  It was a long project, since it is all made with 1 1/2" strips and the quilt finishes at 86 X 102.  The top is heavy with all those seams!  My normal colors of choice are purple and turquoise, but I had a lot of Bonnie and Camille fabric and decided to use them minus the navy.  I had fabric from a few collections and I wanted them to play nicely together.

Just FYI, it is not a good idea to try to take outdoor pictures in the wind!  It's also interesting how all the coloring is of the quilt in different lighting!

Sew Many Strips
I put the quilt back up on my design wall last night and snapped the above picture.  I got home from work today and my dog followed me downstairs.  I turned around and saw this!  I snapped the picture then got her off the quilt!


Here are a few outdoor pics of the quilt top!
The field behind has garbanzo beans growing.
My favorite picture taking spot in our woods.

I am in a small group and we are making wallhangings or pillows in a birthday exchange.  The person I was given requested a wallhanging but I had no idea of her color likes!  I was also in a half square triangle challenge and we had to use at least 40 fabrics.  I decided to combine the two projects into one.  I took the clematis flower applique from the book Flower Show Quilts, but designed the background.  The wallhanging measures 16 X 20 and yes there are actually 41 fabrics in the quilt counting the yellow flower centers!



 I LOVE purple iris!  I am not a flower gardener and have a lot of work to do on this section.  It's a slope between my garage and driveway.  Don't look at the weeds! 

Linking up with Design Wall Monday

6 comments:

Mary said...

Great outdoor pictures. What fun to swap birthday quilts. I need the rearrange my iris too. I would like a few new colors also.

Ramona said...

Your quilt is beautiful, as are the photos! You have some great places to take your quilt photos. I love purple iris, too, and min need to be divided, also! What a great birthday quilt exchange. If the recipient doesn't like it, I know someone else you can send it to! :D

Sally said...

Julie you are so productive, and your quilts just beautiful! I played with the idea of making the same large quilt, but have settled for a smaller version to merge various boxes of scraps. The applique quilt is lovely too, nice colors and I love the scrappy light background.

Melissa said...

Does this mean that she has claimed the quilt? :) haha! Great exchange project too!

QuiltGranma said...

Love the variety of fabric prints you used in your 40 HST challenge!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is just amazing!!! LOVE all the color movement!