Monday, May 27, 2019

Baby Quilts

I recently made some baby quilts and the recipients have them so I can post pictures!  There are seven more days of school left this school year and I have lots of great quilting plans for the summer.  I usually do all my outside work/house chores in the mornings so I can quilt in my basement in the afternoons where it is cooler.

This is the first quilt.  I made it for my new great niece, Evelyn Rose born in April.  I had struggled with what to make and finally saw the raw edge bullseye rose pattern and knew that was it.  Then I had to acquire pinks.  I wanted to stay a bit more on the pastel side.  I finally got it made and quilted.  I gave it a wash to fluff it up.
Roses for Evelyn Rose


embossed rose minkie backing showing the rose quilting
Evelyn Rose on her baby quilt


I have a new granddaughter scheduled to arrive in early July.  My daughter Amy sent me a palette of colors she would like and wanted flowers.  She made a mobile of fake flowers in these colors.  We found the floral fabric online from the Butterfly Haven line.  She suggested triangles or hearts.  This is what I came up with.  It is quilted with hearts!  I delivered it to her this weekend.



This next one isn't a baby quilt, more of a lap/recliner quilt for a dear friend.  She is so giving and I decided to make her a quilt for her birthday.  The only problem was her birthday was May 16th and I decided to do this on Mother's Day!  Since my husband was busy working all day in the fields I had a free day.  I didn't take a picture of the backing, it is Care Bears.  She loves Care Bears and I knew it would be perfect for her as she is so caring of others.  I found a floral fabric in my stash (she sent me flowers for Mother's Day) and a couple coordinates and this is what I came up with.  I made the entire quilt start to finish that day.  I quilted flowers in the floral fabrics and a very wiggly line through the other fabrics.  I delivered it to her on her birthday and she was thrilled.




This past week I was on a two day overnight field trip with the 5th and 6th graders.  I think we put on about 500 miles on the bus!  We traveled to Central Washington and a town along the Columbia River in Oregon studying agriculture.  We had a great guide and some interesting tours at dairies and feed lots and potato processing plant along with the Sage Center in Boardman, OR.

I barely had time to do a load of laundry and pack up before we headed out 12 hours later for Boise to visit our daughters and grandkids.  It's hard to get 4 kids to all look at you with good expressions at the same time.  The twins, Finn and Remy, are 18 months old now, Nicole is 5 and Jared will be 8 in August.  Jared and Nicole are the ones having a new baby sister!

 Linking up with Design Wall Monday.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I love the pyramids for the newest grandbaby. That's one of my favorite patterns. Sweet on the gift quilt too. The grands are adorable!

Mary said...

Very nice finishes. I especially love how you quilted your future granddaughter's quilt. Have a great last few days of school. I'm looking forward to Summer.

Ramona said...

Wow! You have created some gorgeous quilts again. I love,love the roses for Evelyn Rose quilt. I have that pattern, but have never made it. It might be time! I'm into triangle quilts these days and love how you quilted your granddaughter's quilt. It's beautiful. How nice that you made a quilt for your dear friend. I look forward to seeing what comes out of your sewing room once school is out for the summer.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Extraordinary piecing and beautiful quilting are such a fantastic combination...you are very talented. I wish I could piece with such accuracy. And what better reason to be making these beauties...for those lovely grandkids!

Barb Neiwert said...

Such fun projects to work on. The quilts are adorable, as are your grandkids. Fun, fun!