Sunday, January 27, 2019

Baby Quilts

I quilted and bound the Monkey Business quilt I made for my sister for her upcoming grandmotherhood.  The baby will be traveling from Kentucky to visit so she needed a quilt at her house.  I purchased the kit at a huge sale Dec. 21st and had it pieced before we left on the 24th and surprised my sister with the quilt top.

Monkey Business
I am invited to a baby shower in mid February and the mom doesn't know for sure if it is a boy or girl.  She basically wanted everything gray and yellow.  At the same sale in December I purchased the Metro Rings pattern that uses the Quick Curve ruler and gray and yellow fabrics from the Road Trippin line.  I decided it would make up two baby size quilts instead of one larger quilt and I have been working on it.  I have all the strips sewn and have been cutting arcs.  I found some cute flannel with yellow and gray sheep for the backing.

There is another woman I know who is having a little girl and I had a huge collection of six inch nine patch blocks from swaps YEARS ago.  I had leftover pink fabric from this quilt and there was enough for setting squares and a border.. I laid it out on the floor since my wall is busy. I will get it sewn up soon.  I have some cute flannel for the back of it as well.  

 Speaking of the floor.... last week I discovered an unopened jug of distilled water had leaked about a quart out onto some quilt tops that were stacked up to get in line for basting!  I didn't take pictures of the worst of it, but I had a red and white quilt with blocks from over 15 years ago (I was a very busy quilter in swaps 15-20 years ago).  The top was set on point and the reds had run all over the place on the setting triangles but not the blocks!  It was horrible.  My husband was sure it was ruined.  I washed it gently in OxyClean and nothing happened.  I had half a bottle of Synthropol from back when I was dying fabric twenty years ago and though I had nothing to lose.  I must say it is a miracle!!!!  I used about a tablespoon of Synthropol.  The quilt top is perfect, albeit very wrinkled.  Also I discovered these leftover Hawaiian blocks I had hand appliqued and although it is very hard to see, they are now also perfect!  All the excess dye was removed.  The first photo is wrinkly, but I didn't dare press it.  The second photo is the after photo.  I am so thrilled!



Another sunrise photo from my front deck with mist.


6 comments:

Ramona said...

There are so many fun quilts to see here today! Your Monkey Business is just adorable! I love the colors for the metro rings...another fun quilt to make. The nine patches with the pink squares will be perfect for a baby girl and you can't go wrong with nine patches. I know it feels good to be using some of these parts that have been waiting to be used. How wonderful that you were able to save your quilt tops from disaster. You must have been sick when you found that the spilled water had gotten onto your quilt tops. I'm glad it's turning out ok. :)

Judy D in WA said...

Oh Julie, you have been busy busy again! Such sweet baby quilts. You will have some happy cuddlers with these quilts.

Melissa said...

I love the curve it up ruler... when I considering what design for the latest baby quilt, I considered one of those patterns. I think it was Tina Davis who had something similar happen with a running dye recently? If there is anything left, try blue Dawn on the spots. I love blue Dawn for oily spills, and when I learned it helped her with a running dye, I decided that it must be a miracle in a bottle! LOL! Not really, but I was surprised how effective it was. Running dyes are so irritating.

Jennifer said...

Those are some great baby quilts, and good to know about the Synthrapol - I have some in my sewing room from my first batik quilt.

spacer said...

So glad Synthrapol did the job. What a sick feeling to discover something like that,

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

My goodness look at you go with the quilts!! and I am so glad you were able to clean up the quilts. I never thought about using Synthrapol ( I use to dye too!)