Monday, January 21, 2019

More Basting and a Top

Since I finished all 12 of the quilts I had pin basted in my October basting party, it was time to do it again!  On my January 1st post I listed all 41 tops that I still need to quilt.  I have been piecing backings and even fusing some batting together and so far have 8 pin basted this weekend. I had some things come up so I didn't get as many done, but I have today off work and have plans to get three more done today.  I might be out of pins by then but we will see!  I do plan on ALL the tops having batting and backing ready for the next pin basting session.   I might run out of batting.  I started with 40 yards on hand.  Some of the quilts are from the mid 2000's and several from before 2012!  Time to get them out of here.

This is a mystery quilt top from this past year.  I am not thrilled with it, but it is growing on me.  You picked light or dark Kaffe Fassett fabrics and everything was provided.  I picked the dark version.   I wish it was longer, I am not in to square quilts so I am trying to figure out if I want to add a border or just quilt it.  It is 83" square. The background is a light blue polka dot.
Kaffe Mystery Quilt 2018

This is a pile of 8 quilts that are basted for quilting.  The quilt top in the background is about 70" square and I made it in 2010.  The pattern was in an Australian Patchwork magazine and it is done with all Fossil Fern Fabrics.  The name is Fossil Fern Fantasy.  The fabrics are feeling flimsy and will need a nice pressing with Best Press.  Strangely, I had not stitched down the applique in the middle and it is sticking well.  I will blanket stitch that before basting it for quilting.  I have the backing ready.

The quilt on top of the pile has 9 Hawaiian applique blocks.  I originally hand appliqued 13 of them in 3 different colors and had an on point setting planned and because it took so long to applique the blocks I didn't have enough fabric and got discouraged.  I finally used 9 of the blocks and will make a table runner out of the others.  I was also discouraged because the Roxanne Glue Baste It I used turned oily and put some stains on the fabric.  But now it's time to quilt it and throw it in the washer and see what happens.  I had all the blocks done in 2010.


One morning on my way to work I saw this to the east.  My house is in the trees on the left of the photo and I headed west but stopped and took this picture behind me.  I really liked the V from jet streams.


Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Monday Making and Main Crush Monday

6 comments:

Ramona said...

What a gorgeous photo! The blues in the sky are so sharp. Your Hawaiian quilt is a beauty. I sure hope the stains come out of it when you wash it. I'm excited to see your latest batch of finishes!

Melissa said...

Where do you get your batting rolls from? I have one roll that isn't opened yet, but last year I really didn't quilt many! I'm hoping this year it will pick up, my goal is to finish 12, and at least 5 of them be UFOs. That should finish off my current roll, and get into the new one :) I have some yardage that was marked off steeply heading it's way here for some backing material. You know I love piecing backs normally, but I'm just not up for it right now. I am ready for some finishes! I love what you do have going on, I haven't seen a lot of hand applique projects you've done recently.

Judy D in WA said...

Your sky photo is lovely. What a great pile of basted quilts! We are both on a roll. I need to order more batting soon. Love the Hawaiian quilt and hope the stains wash out. I bet those Color Catchers would work.

Mary said...

Love your stack! Getting them done and sending good vibes out. Cheering from a few miles away...

QuiltGranma said...

Re: the Kafe Facet mystery, You could add rows on top and bottom to make it rectangular to a more useful size for you. Just because something I a mystery does not mean it stays a mystery. Make it yours, is my suggestion.

Julie said...

Great suggestion if I had the fabrics, however it was a kit so I am limited,