Friday, August 29, 2014

August UFO #29

Today was shopping day.  Friday of Labor Day weekend is not the best time to shop but I survived.

This UFO is a HUGE stack of odd blocks.  Some were from swaps, some were samples, some were given to me, some I didn't use in block robins, just a big mountain of blocks that I haven't begun to count.  Someday I will sort them out and I know I even have more blocks elsewhere.  I can make a "Thimbleberries" type quilt, an animal quilt, a jar quilt, etc.  Lots and lots and lots of blocks!

Thursday, August 28, 2014

August UFO #28

It's almost the end of the month and I am still coming up with UFO's in my collection to post!  This morning I canned green beans, it figures the garden is producing well and it's time to go back to work.  I had meetings this week and school starts Tuesday.

This UFO was from an internet group swap, but not as old as some of mine!  We swapped the scrappy blocks and I chose to set it with the Twist and Turn method.  This is one scrap quilt that actually made a dent in my scraps!  I set up another table for basting today so I threw the quilt over it for the picture.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August UFO #27

Yesterday I showed a red and white quilt and today is another one!  Yes, I have two of them needing quilting when my husband didn't think red and white looked like me!  This was from a birthday yahoo group, I picked the pattern, they made blocks. 

When I was in Wenatchee last weekend we went to the Farmer's Market.  I bought some wonderful sweet corn and at the huge indoor facility they have I found this awesome wood basket.  It's out of a Noble Fir tree burl.  I love it!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August UFO #26

Several years ago I took an unfinished red and white lonestar quilt from my mother-in-law's sewing room and finished it for her for Christmas.  She had Alzheimer's and was no longer sewing.  My husband Doug walked into my sewing room when it was on my design wall and said "That doesn't look like you".  He knew what I was planning on doing for his mom, but hadn't seen it.  I wondered why it didn't that look like me and he said it's red and white.  Well....  I was in a group that was making blocks for each other so I had them make red and white blocks and I have this top.  Of course I haven't quilted it... 

Monday, August 25, 2014

Design Wall Monday and August UFO #25

My design wall hasn't changed since last Monday and you can see that post here.
However I have added a few more stitches to the borders of the wool quilt.  I am linking up to Judy L.'s design wall Monday here.

My UFO of the day is an unusual quilt in the sense of fabric choice.  I bought the fabric from the former Lura's quilt shop in Orofino in the 90's.  At some point I made a 4 patch stack and whack out of the fabric and sashed it with fabrics on hand.  Now what to do with a foodie quilt?  I am not sure.  I could use it as a picnic quilt, although that happens infrequently.  A friend gave me some french fry fabric and I had some candy bar fabric so those will be used on the back.

block closeup

Last week I went to visit a friend and her husband in Wenatchee, WA.  It's a 5 hour drive each way.  Friday we went to Chelan, WA, a place I had never been.  This is a picture of the lake and from the winery where we had lunch, which is the other picture.  We went to the quilt shop there, it's cute and a nice variety of fabrics.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

August UFO #24

I'm gearing up for back to school meetings this week, we actually start back with students Sept. 2.  We have done a big clea nout of a lot of areas in our little school over the summer.  Two classrooms, a gym and a former apartment, now storage makes up the whole building!  Oh and a small kitchen.  I still have a bit of organizing left for my kindergarten and first graders.

This is... you guessed it... another old UFO top.  I was in a LOT of round robins/block robins/block robins, even vest robins for a few years, more than 25 of them.  We kept the U.S. mail hopping back then!  This was a block robin and yes, I need to quilt it, like so many other tops in my collection!  I love basket blocks and will need to get this done... someday!

Saturday, August 23, 2014

August UFO #23

As I mentioned previously I got involved in swaps on the internet and made a lot of friends.  I became particularly close to two women who both passed away and whom I acquired things from.  Vicki from SC was heavily involved in the Pat Sloan internet group and Debi from WA was a fan as well.  I did make several of the Pat's designs and was involved in several swaps and she also designed several fabric lines.  Through Vicki and Deb I seemed to have acquired a lot of Pat's fabric.  Honestly some of it really wasn't my color choices but I had a HUGE bin of it so a few years ago there were postings on You Tube about the "10 minute block".  Next thing I knew I was cutting fabric and made a queen size top.  I don't find it super attractive and have no clue why I made it so the top sits in my cupboard!  Be careful, if you say you like it you will probably end up with it!

Idaho Quilter's Adventures