Sunday, August 22, 2021

Wow, August is Almost Over!

 This has been a super busy summer.  I don't even know where to begin!  So I will be random.  Quilts will be in the post!  I had more company and also met my daughter halfway to pick up my two oldest grandkids so they could have a bit of harvest.  Our weather has been so dry harvest was very early, and the yields were down quite a bit.  While the kids were here and because of the super dry summer, fires have been rampant in the norhwest.  On Wednesday, August 11 a fire started several miles from here and quite a bit lower in elevation.  It quickly went out of control and into the wooded canyons.  My husband is a volunteer fire fighter and had already plowed fire breaks around our house and fields.  By Friday night we were in danger, but I didn't realize how much!  The fire traveled 8.7 miles up the canyon and was stopped by a backfire .7 miles from our house!  It did not cross the highway thankfully.  My husband was out fighting fire and the biggest danger was flying embers with the dry ground and lots of trees.  These pictures are from one of our fields on the edge of the canyon.  Thanks to hundreds of firefighters, including farmers and loggers the fire was contained at 11,205 acres.




I have gotten several shop sample tops done and have actually worked on some of my own projects, but not too much!  I helped my 7 year old granddaughter sew an apron when she was here.  She was very proud and wanted to bake.  Only it was so hot and we don't have air conditioning so I was avoiding the oven!  She did enjoy setting the table in her apron!

The pictures below are all shop sample quilt tops!








The fabrics glow in the dark!






3 comments:

Ramona said...

I have thought of you often and wondered if the fires were close to you. I'd say they were too close! So thankful that you haven't had damage to your home or buildings. This fire season has been so bad, and then we are getting all of this rain on the east coast. Your shop samples continue to shine. The owner must love that you are her friend.

Mary said...

Glad you are safe from the Fires! Sew Many Samples!! I think your Summer at home was well spent. Will I see you at the Spokane Quilt Show? Our Guild is coming again on that Friday.
It's a week before my Son's wedding but I'm still planning on it. I Missed Quilt shows the most while I was gone. Most didn't happen, so I really didn't miss the event. Taking Quills to the Fair tomorrow. Not working at the Fair. Will wear a Mask to go and see the Quilts.

QuiltGranma said...

So glad they got the fires stopped in time to save your place and so many others as well. What a lovely bunch of shop samples! You have been sew busy! I could never do that for a shop. I take forever!