Monday, April 13, 2020

Feeling Overwhelmed, but still Quilting!

As with everyone else, my life has been turned upside down by the virus.  Have you ever tried teaching Kindergarten and First Grade over a computer screen?  I don't recommend it, but we all do what we have to do!  Today I had two girls hiding under blankets, one putting her eyeball up to the camera and not paying attention, a girl who won't talk, a boy who likes to play hide and seek and other students who don't log on for their Zoom meeting times.  We sent Chromebooks home with all students at our one room school and they all have internet access.  It's been quite a process, but I can't complain.  I have a job, my husband is farming, and my kids and grandkids are healthy and safe in their homes.  I have turned my dining room into an office and use my phone as projector on a white board while using my school computer.  I have learned new technology at least! 

I don't' even have pictures of everything I have made or quilted, but I have two actual finishes.  One is a gift for an online group.  The woman requested lavender and spring green and we could make anything we wanted.  I made this table runner.  Nothing worked for the vines but I found a rickrack in my stash.  

In my last post I showed a picture of Going Places, a fun quilt with cars and campers.  I had leftover pieces and made this modern style wallhanging.  The smallest half squares finish at 1".  It's my favorite thing I have made this year.

I made more shop samples for Your Best Friends Quilt Shop.  I am on my last one.  

Riley Blake table runners

flannel quilt


These are Ovens but they need button knobs that the owner will put on after quilting
Riley Blake Baked With Love closeup

Good Morning Mugs table runner

Harvest table runner

I can't remember the name!  Not my colors, but it was fun to make.

I have made quite a few masks and unless I get a request specifically I am done for now.  I went to town last week for the first time in a month because I had a dental emergency and wore a mask in Costco.  Not a fun thing to do.  I am a person who normally keeps a good amount of stuff on hand, I guess you could say my husband is a prepper.  My county so far has zero covid cases thankfully.

Linking up with Design Wall Monday.

5 comments:

Ramona said...

I can’t imagine trying to teach little ones over zoom. It’s amazing what we can do with technology now, though. I’m amazed at how many shop samples you’ve made! I can see why you want to be done with them. (I looked back at your Going Places quilt.) The quilt you made from the scraps is adorable!

Mary said...

Crazy days for sure. Glad you got to the store. I have only made a dozen masks. Love the Samples you've made 😍

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What fun projects! you need those after trying to teach all day - haha! What a challenge! Remember the pics of the baseball teams - all the kids up front are all serious - and the one in centerfield is chasing the butterfly? that's what your scenario reminds me of....oh what a challenge!!!

Barb N said...

All your projects are just lovely! And your description of your teaching day makes me glad I'm retired, lol! You just do what you gotta do. Our small Idaho county hasn't faired so well with the virus, being a resort community MANY people from everywhere brought it to the valley, and now we have five deaths and nearly 500 positive. Guess that's the downside of having businesses dealing with the traveling public. Stay safe, and keep up your spirits!

Christina said...

Wow, your samples are gorgeous! It is amazing the quick changes that have needed to take place by teachers to continue teaching our younger generation. Thank you for working hard to make sure it happens.