Monday, January 27, 2020

Sew Many Strips and Scrappy Finishes

I had this quilt waiting to be quilted from my last basting party.  It was the last one left and sat for a few months.  I finally quilted it last weekend and got it finished during the week.  The center star blocks were from a swap many years ago.  The hostess designed the block and sent us background fabric.  I have never been into random scrappy quilts, although I like lots of fabrics in a quilt, just controlled scrappy!  This quilt is shown on my daughter's queen bed with my grandmother's treadle in the background.

One block showing the twisting I did to use up more fabric and make the quilt bigger.

Last year American Patchwork and Magazine had a sew along for this quilt called Sew Many Strips.  I love the bright cheery colors I picked.  There are a LOT of pieces in this quilt, since each unit finishes at 1" X 2".  I got the quilt top done last year and set it aside like I usually do!  This weekend I opened my quilt top cupboard and it jumped out.  I had backing for it and got it pin basted, quilted and bound in two days.  I even hand stitched the binding.  I just did swirly texture quilting on my home machine.

center closeup
c

Earlier I made more shop samples for my friend's shop called Your Best Friend's Quilt Shop
This uses a large panel with small panels and a border print.
This one was already in half hexis when she sent it to me.  She used two colorways for a one block wonder and is sending me border fabric so I haven't mailed it back yet.

If all this wasn't enough I machine quilted a HUGE quilt for a friend of a friend.  It was a simple quilt panels and large borders, but I custom quilted it.  I thought I was quilting a lap quilt when I agreed!

Linking up with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday


4 comments:

Jay said...

It's great to see your Sew Many Strips quilt finished. I have the strips cut, but had to put them aside for other, more urgent projects. Isn't that always the way?

Ramona said...

You have been very busy! I’m so glad you’ve had time to do some quilting for yourself. Everything is beautiful, but I love the scrappy quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love the twisting you used - it really makes those blocks so colorful and unique

Mary said...

The scrappy Swap blocks are fun! I missed out on the Block Swaps with WASIQ.