Monday, October 08, 2018

Basting, Basting, Basting

As I have mentioned previously, I have a LOT of unfinished projects.  A LOT!  I do all my machine quilting on a Pfaff Grand Quilter, no long arm, no mid arm, just stuffing the quilts through and moving them around. Because of that, my quilts need to be layered and basted together with some method before quilting.  I was on a roll this weekend.  I started pulling tops out of my cupboard and picking backings (and in most cases piecing them) and started basting them together with pins.  The two smallest ones are spray basted, not a method I use on bigger quilts or quilts that will be sitting before they are quilted.  I apparently had a LOT of safety pins!  I know I have acquired them from various sources, including my mother-in-law's sewing room when she passed away.

I ended up getting 11 quilts ready for quilting in 3 days (and that was taking time out for being gone parts of two days).  Most of them are smaller and most will end up being donated or gifted.  One of them is from at least 10 years ago.  The top has been sitting unquilted and I have some older than that!

I absolutely LOVE my Kwik Klip!  It is one of my favorite tools.  I am also fortunate I buy backing by the roll!

Now I need to start quilting!!!  Yes, two of the quilts are the same!  The quilt top on the wall is auditioning borders.

 My mom found this fabric in a box in her house and had no clue what it was for so I put it together with some "doggie" backing and quilted it and gave it back to her!  She can use it for some of the donation causes for the senior center she is active in.  I also made her two pillows out of a different dog print.

Linking up with Design Wall Monday.

3 comments:

Ramona said...

Wow! To get that many quilts basted in parts of three days is work! I’m looking forward to seeing the finished quilts as you get to them. You are making a dent in your unfinished pile!

Judy D in WA said...

I am going on a search for more pins because of you. :) I love having the quilts basted and ready to quilt whenever I'm ready. I don't think I'll ever have enough pins to baste 11 though. LOL You've inspired me again.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi! I followed Judy's like to see the layering inspiration. WOWEE! I thought I was good, doing four at one time. Kudos to you!! I don't have enough pins for 11 either, but Judy had some pretty pin covers. I need to look at those, too. Happy Thursday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne