Sunday, March 04, 2018

Retreat Weekend

I went to a retreat that started last Wednesday for four nights.  It was a new to me retreat and the retreat was held at a hotel.  I had a lot of fun, there were 23 of us, including the quilt shop owner that sponsored the retreat.  She was very generous with gift bags and set up a small shop for us.  Her husband and kids provided dinners for us.

I was able to sew up 84 4 patch blocks for a couple of kids quilts and still need to cut them apart for a disappearing 4 patch, but my main project was my Baltimore Spring project I showed a block of in my last post.  It was intense, but I got all the blocks cut and fused. Some of those pieces are SOOOO small!  I was able to tape the pieces to a wall to watch the project grow.  I have been debating what to do next. I think I will go ahead and assemble the blocks, add the borders (yes a fusible applique one) and then thread paint with a thin layer of batting and then add another think batting layer and a backing and quilt the open areas.  That is my plan at least!  This is not the final layout, it looks too heavy on top, so I will do some rearranging.
Baltimore Spring BOM all fused

Before the retreat the quilt shop owner had a mystery quilt pattern and and quilters had a chance to participate.  She picked fabrics and had them in a bag based on their color preferences.  I did not participate but enjoyed seeing the wide variety of finished quilts from the same pattern!





The previous weekend I got the this quilt top out and added the prairie point border and the final border.  I had pieced it quite some time ago at a retreat.  It was a kit I bought many years ago from Starr Fabrics.  It is a small throw size.  I also have a kit for a queen size version!  It is fun to sew up and I like the mottled effect.



I also pin basted this quilt top to ready it for quilting.  I had gotten word that my friend Kathy had passed away unexpectedly and she and I were co-moderators on a yahoo group for twenty years called Washington State Internet Quilters.  The list owner Melissa is a dear friend and the three of us "ran" the list.  As Facebook and other social media took over the group had dwindled in recent years, but many friendships were formed from this group.  They had many sew ins, retreats, swaps, round robins, etc.  These blocks were from one of the swaps, and in memory of Kathy I got out this quilt top and readied it for quilting.  I have another one as well and still more blocks to be made into quilts!


I think I am going to be busy for awhile!

Linking up with Design Wall Monday, Main Crush Monday and Monday Making.



7 comments:

Ramona said...

I'm sorry about your friend, Kathy. What a beautiful quilt to finish in her memory. I am amazed at how much you accomplish at retreats. Your Baltimore blocks are gorgeous. You are going to be busy, but when are you not?

Mary said...

Kathy will be missed! I remember that the Swaps were sent to her. She was profliclike you. What a great idea to Retreat in a hotel. Nice to have meals cooked for you.

Melissa said...

I like the mystery quilt project, I like the green/yellow combo w/ the dark grey (I think?) the most. It looks like it was a good retreat. The Spring BA quilt is going to be a stunner. I need to get my swap blocks sewn up too, but after I finish the Eagle quilt, I plan to do the signature blocks first.

Barb Neiwert said...

All those quilts are great, especially the Baltimore Spring. Fun to rearrange the blocks to your liking. And sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. That's never easy to absorb. And thank you for the link to Starr Fabrics. New possibilities.....

Unknown said...

Wow ! All of the tiny pieces !! You have the patience of a Saint.
I am sorry that everyone lost their sweet friend.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

You DO have a lot to keep you busy! I think it's always so fun to see different fabric versions of the same pattern. Fabric choice changes everything! I'm sorry about your friend Kathy. It's so sweet of you to pull out a quilt in memory of her.

Christina said...

Your Baltimore Spring quilt is going to be gorgous! Keep up the great work. I'm sorry to hear about your friend Kathy, but a great way to remember her by with the memory quilt. Keep up the great work, all of your projects look awesome!