Monday, January 22, 2018

On a Roll!

After the big two week long cleaning session I got busy quilting!  On Martin Luther King Day I did a day of service by quilting two patriotic quilts to donate to the American Hero quilt project.  (With two serving nephews this is dear to my heart)  During the week I worked on bindings and more pin basting and as of yesterday I had completed 6 UFO's in a week!  Okay, two of them only needed binding (they were quilted in December), but the three patriotic quilts were all quilted and bound this week.  Then there was a tableunner that had the squares cut.

I did all the bindings by machine or I would still be stitching!  I must say polyester batting is not my favorite, I like the way cotton lays much better!  I have all my polyester batts used up now and have a roll of 80/20 and a roll of Quilter's Dream cotton.

I also set together my heart blocks I had shown in a previous post.

Here are my accomplishments for the week.

 Center and star blocks were donated to me and I set them together a few years ago.  Finally finished it!  Twin size.  Quilted in free motion star/loop design.
Two views of my Tumblers Leader/Ender project suggested by Bonnie Hunter a few years ago.  It took me about two years to assemble it!  Quilted in a wavy diagonal.  Twin size

Two views of Grand Illusion, a Bonnie Hunter/Quiltville mystery from a few years ago.  I love my fabrics, because I didn't do scrappy, but the design is too busy!  I extended the length with extra pieces and it measures 90 X 98.  Quilted by Gem State Quilting.


Two views of the 5 minute block quilt.  I made this about 10 years ago from my friend's stash of Pat Sloan fabrics.  It's a little too country for my taste, but I have friends who love it.  So it will be a surprise for someone!  I love the effect of this pattern and need to make another quilt!  It measures 88 X 103 and was quilted by Gem State quilting.
Another patriotic quilt.  These blocks were a block lotto at a retreat.  I assembled it years ago and finally quilted it.  I don't like the quilting I did  now that it's done.  It looks too much like a mattress pad on the back, but it will be a great snuggle quilt for an injured soldier.  Twin size

 This is the tablerunner I whipped up yesterday.  It was some charm squares I acquired somewhere and then I decided to add coral accents to my teal/gray/cream dining room.  It's perfect on my dining table!  I quilted it very simply with straight lines.

 This is the top I made from the blocks I mentioned in an earlier post.  They were sent to me from all over the country (and the center block came from Australia) after my son passed away unexpectedly in 2013.  I was in a couple of Yahoo groups at that time and they sent Hearts and Flowers blocks in times of loss.  I auditioned sashing fabric and this blue/purple batik said use me!  I love how it turned out!  Now I need to quilt it.  It measures 45" square.

IT has been a very productive week!  I still haven't actually typed up my UFO/WIP/HSY list I realized, but I have six things to cross off!

Linking up with Design Wall Monday






3 comments:

Ramona said...

Wow! Look at you go! Congrats! On all of your awesome finishes. The veterans quilts will certainly bring smiles to some faces. The designs are beautiful. Your heart quilt is just lovely. What a special remembrance from friends near and far. If what you are accomplishing is due to cleaning your studio....I need to get working in mine! :D

Mary said...

Great Work! 6 UFO's in a wweek!!! How can I compete??? Glad you have a place for the Quilt that isn't your fav. The hearts are great. Marg is the best!!

QuiltGranma said...

what a wonderful collection of completions, already! will you be able to keep up this pace through out the year? or is that just wishful thinking on my part... hoping I too get a bunch completed?