Sunday, September 23, 2018

One Block Wonder

I have been working on my ocean one block wonder.  I love how it is turning out!  I am in the process of pressing my strips (seams are being pressed open) and then will be assembling the top.  I am thinking of appliqueing the points down so I really have to work to figure out the exact size I need the length to match the side strips.  This is a lot of fun sewing with the panels to make this style of quilt.

I have one more panel I had originally purchased, but it is cut slightly differently.  I ordered the rest and knew I had better not chance them being the same and ordered enough for the 7 panels.  The extra one will be on the back.


 This is a closeup of some of the blocks.

I hope to get this assembled this week and will actually quilt it right away so it won't go into my never ending pile of unquilted tops!  It will be a great memory quilt of our snorkeling cruise in Hawaii.

I am linking up with Monday Making and Design Wall Monday.

9 comments:

Ramona said...

Julie, it’s beautiful! I’ve never seen a OBW made with panels and really like the look. It really does look like the ocean! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Denise :) said...

How beautiful! And what a terrific memory quilt this will be for you! Fun stuff. :)

Judy D in WA said...

Oooohhh Julie! This is fabulous. It is a great memory quilt. One day I will make myself a OBW!

Sally said...

What a great way to showcase the original fabric, and I love how the hexagons just blend into the reef.

LJ said...

Julie, I, too, haven't seen a OBW that looks like yours. I'm fascinated and am wondering if you have other posts on this particular OBW. I'd love to see your process from the start.

Ellie said...

What a outstanding quilt! It will bea wonderful memory.

Mary said...

Nice to have good memories of snorkeling in Hawaii. Gotta have a Quilt so fun to make. I wonder where my fabric squares I bought in Hawaii are??

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, this quilt is amazing!

beth s said...

Now THAT is a beautiful memory you're making!! LOVELY.