Monday, April 09, 2018

Machine Quilting and Prep

I spent the week, after work, machine quilting a quilt for a friend.  Three years ago she asked me to machine quilt a quilt she was making for her son and his soon to be wife.  Her son had been one of my son's best friends and I had planned to make a wedding quilt but instead purchased gifts as to not detract from his mom's gift.  Jeffrey and Macaela recently had a baby girl and I gave them a baby quilt at the shower and they were thrilled to receive it.  It took Susan quite a while, but she proudly finished the quilt top and brought it to me.  I tried to take a picture of the quilting on the backing but it didn't show.  I did free motion whirligig quilting in each block and a loopy swirl in the sashing (it was added for length).  Susan will bind it. It's a bit busy, but cool at the same time!  It was way to rainy to take pics outside.

This weekend I got out my Blue Hawaiian quilt.  I originally posted it in May 2017.  I had lots of leftover blocks and decided to enlarge the quilt.  Then I still had leftovers and pieced a backing as I am refusing to buy backing fabric when I have so much fabric at home!  The pattern is called Rhubarb Pie by Madison Cottage desgins.

This was the quilt to top as it was in May 2017.  63 blocks
Enlarged quilt top and the borders were changed to be uniform on the sides.  88 blocks


I had leftover bits and pieces so I pieced a back.


Now I need to baste and quilt it!  I wanted something cheery during our dreary April weather!  Farming is behind, the fields have way too much water.

Joining in with Design Wall Monday and Monday Making.


6 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

What a fabulous wedding quilt! I love your quilt and that back! My favorites are made that way. Use that stash!!!
We were talking about your farm yesterday as my daughter and grands were telling me about all the farms they saw as they drove through Idaho last week. :) Hope it dries out soon so planting can start.

Ramona said...

The wedding quilt is fun, wild and a cool design. I'm sure your friend is thrilled to have it almost finished and quilted. I love, love, love your Blue Hawaii quilt. Those colors! And with the blacks and whites, they just pop.

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Love the blue quilt and I LOVE pieced backings!! Great job. Looks like the red quilt did take a long time to piece, lots of work. Snowing here this morning. Hope it dries out for you soon.

chrisknits said...

Love your quilt and even the back is adorable!!

Mary said...

Fun backing! Great to finish a friend's Wedding quilt gift. Even if it is late. Rainy all weekend here, sorry the fields are wet.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

The backing is as stunning as the front! Beautiful! Thanks for letting me link up my project.