Monday, March 07, 2016

Quilt Camp Progress

I had a wonderful quilt camp (aka retreat) at Palouse Divide Lodge.  I didn't get any pictures taken this time, it was pretty rainy and there was a lot of slushy snow to walk to the top of the mountain.  It was a great group of women and the food was wonderful.  I was pretty intent on piecing my Fire Island Hosta and it turned out very well I think!  I think my colors are more intense than this but it was hard to get them adjusted correctly.  It is 100 X 100, bigger than my design wall, hence the bend at the bottom!
queen size Fire Island Hosta
I took my Pfaff Grand Quilter with me to machine quilt the top mentioned in my last post, but didn't have the urge to do that after wrestling this huge top while finishing the piecing.

My sisters went to quilt shops for me last summer and neither of them quilt.  It was pretty funny when they came to visit and brought all the goodies they accumulated for me!  One sister bought a quilt pattern she loved at Quilt Expressions in Boise called Fair and Square.  She told me when I made the quilt, entered it in the fair and won ribbons and couldn't find room in my closet for it, she would take it off my hands.  I took that as a challenge to make her a new quilt!  It seems a bit wild but it really grabbed a lot of attention at quilt camp!  Black sashing will go between the blocks and there will be 20 blocks altogether for a queen size quilt.
Fair and Square, first six blocks
Linking up with Patchwork Times and Main Crush Monday.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful Fire Island Hosta quilt!

Sally said...

Just beautiful Julie! I've always loved this pattern, and can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Melissa said...

I love it! I thought about doing that pattern, but decided to enjoy looking at yours instead :)

JanetD said...

I skedaddled right over to see the finished Fire Island Hosta and am so loving this quilt. I'll be looking for it in April at Palouse Patchers show, I'm full of optimism for you. Fair and Square is marvelous, even the fabrics you doubt.

Mary said...

I love the colors. I'll just admire it from afar too. WAY TOO MANY PP POINTS on that one.
Glad you got 4 days of sewing with your quilty friends.

Mary said...

I love the colors. I'll just admire it from afar too. WAY TOO MANY PP POINTS on that one.
Glad you got 4 days of sewing with your quilty friends.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Be still my heart! Your Fire Island Hosta is beautiful and I'm so happy you were able to finish it at your retreat. It's a HUGE quilt! Thanks so much for linking to MCM! :)

Judy D in WA said...

I LOVE your Fire Island Hosta! Is is just stunning! Your sister is funny. I like the way she thinks. That looks like a fun quilt to make.