Monday, March 14, 2016

A Bright Finish and Quiltmaker Scrap Squad

Last week I showed the start of a very bright quilt top.  I was able to finish the piecing this weekend and I'm happy to share a photo!  I love how this turned out and seem to have drastically overcut the strips so I can play with more of them.  I was making a throw size pattern called Fair and Square into a queen size and kept cutting without planning ahead! My sister will be the recipient of this quilt eventually.  Sorry for the crooked photo.  



My year with the Quiltmaker Scrap Squad has come to a close.  This past year has been such a rewarding experience, using a provided pattern and making it scrappy.  For the last quilt we were allowed to choose any quilt Quiltmaker had published.  That was a hard decision, but one kept calling me, Vintage Sunburst.  This was the original photo:Vintage Sunburst

Here is my version that I named Pie in the Night Sky.
Pie in the NIght Sky



In front of our old barn
I will be doing a complete Scrap Squad recap of my quilts later in the week so be sure and check back!

I am working on finishing the top of the Quiltmaker Bitty Blocks that were a year long monthly row quilt on their blog last year.  I decided to take my quilt apart and make the sashing a bit narrower.  I still have to get the last two rows down.  Here is the photo before I started taking it apart.  I have shown it before.  It was going to be too long and skinny.

Linking up with Main Crush Monday and Patchwork Times.

8 comments:

Mary said...

You did a great job on the Scrap Squad. I haven't heard a call for the NEW Scrap Squad yet.
your Bright top and Itty Bitty block quilts are so colorful. Sorry you have to use the old froggin' tool.

Mary said...

You did a great job on the Scrap Squad. I haven't heard a call for the NEW Scrap Squad yet.
your Bright top and Itty Bitty block quilts are so colorful. Sorry you have to use the old froggin' tool.

Kat said...

I love your scrappy quilt! The black trim really brings out the colors in all the scraps.

Melissa said...

Fair and Square is a fun quilt! I was just thinking that I need to get my bitty block quilt finished too. I should sneak it over to your house, maybe you'll be tricked into finishing it for me :)

Judy D in WA said...

Oh Julie, Pie in the Night Sky is fabulous!! I especially love it draped over the fence!
It has been so much fun to be with you as you spent your year with the Scrap Squad.
Love Fair and Square. It really is a fun quilt. And those Bitty Blocks, how cute are they!

Ramona said...

Wow! Both of your scrap quilts are gorgeous! I can't pick a favorite. The colors in both are so bright and cheery. Those bitty block rows are too cute! It will look great with narrower sashing.

Unknown said...

Such a talented, thoughtful caring heart Julie.. It all shows through your beautiful quilts. m

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness... it is amazing! Wowzer... I love it! You went above and beyond for this very challenging pattern!