Monday, July 06, 2015

Design Wall Monday and other stuff

Where did June go?  I was so busy until school got out on June 11th, then had several things to get done and our daughter Amy, her husband Nate and their two kids arrived on the 19th.  We left with them on the 26th and came back on the 29th.  It was a great get away.

Now to catch up on the things I did get done recently!

My blog post for Quiltmaker's Quilty Pleasures Scrap Squad went live on June 19th.  I used the Hero's Homecoming pattern in the current issue of Quiltmaker and made Dogwoods in Bloom.  I love this one.  I decided to make a version in patriotic colors to donate to one of the military groups.  It is not quilted yet, but hopefully by the end of the summer it will be!
Dogwoods in Bloom.  Quilty Pleasures Blog for June.


Hero's Homecoming top for Quilty Pleasure blog




Today I finished machine quilting this quilt that I pieced in March for a graduation gift.  It's just a bit 
late!  I have the binding ready to apply and will finish it by machine as well.
Stepping Stones for Lindsay.

I used all the leftover fabrics to piece a back.
 I am very behind on the QuiltmakerIttyBitty blocks.  I only have January done but I have all the rest cut out through June.  July was just posted yesterday.  These are two baskets from February.  I am making two of each 4" block.
Itty Bitty Baskets 4"
 A neighbor asked me to quilt this signature quilt for her.  It was in her family and assembled by her great grandmother.  She knew I would not be handquilting it, but she just wanted it finished to display.  I need to hand stitch the binding but it's been way too hot here and we don't have an air conditioned house!
Antique signature quilt
 We left on the 26th for Boise and visited our daughter Lisa and husband Kevin and seeing their newly purchased house.  Amy and her family went the rest of the way to their home in Utah the next day.  We also went to a wedding on the 27th of one of our son's friends, where Brad was honored as an honorary groomsman.  On the 28th we drove to Oregon.  I should do a whole post on that trip.  We were going to go there two years ago with Brad to see the homestead sites of Doug's great great grandfather and great grandfather.  Brad had been the one who found the locations and Doug had put them into his GPS at the time.  We did see the homestead sites and also the Oregon Trail Intrepetive Center in Baker City where we got to see the actual wagon train ruts that they had actually traveled on.  We also went to Wallowa Lake and went up on the Tram.  The views are gorgeous.  We hiked all the trails, having gotten to the tram shortly after 9 AM when it opened.  We came back home the evening of the 29th.
Me at the top of Mt. Howard.  

Doug looking at the homestead site of his great great grandfather

Wallowa Lake

sign at the summit, we could definitely harder to breathe at a higher elevation

Linking up with Patchwork Times.  I was also nominated for a Lovely Blog Award quite some time ago so I plan to get that post done too if I ever stay home long enough!  

4 comments:

Mary said...

You had a BUSY month of JUNE! Lots of travels and family time. Glad you could make the most of your stitching time. Do you have a breeze box fan you could sit by in this heat?

Cathy Tomm said...

Lots of great quilts worked on. Love the little tiny basket blocks.

Cindy said...

That is a fun signature quilt. Will be special for your neighbor to have it finished.
Lots of fun projects you are working on.

Ramona said...

Julie, I don't know how I missed this post. All of the quilts in this post are gorgeous! I especially like the patriotic quilt. Your vacation photos look wonderful! Great scenery.