Friday, April 02, 2010

Quilt a day #31

Last night and this morning I pin basted a quilt belonging to Jo for quilting. I am excited to see a block I made in it!. Check out her blog post to see a picture of it, it's the first quilt. My block is the second block down in the middle, a potato surrounded by delectable mountain blocks.

I am going on a quilt retreat next Thursday and a year ago I made my Canyon Dance quilt top and I have decided to machine quilt it at this retreat. People like to watch me quilt on my regular machine (although I do have a Pfaff Grand Quilter now). I didn't have backing so today I got out a bunch of the fabrics/colors in the top and made a pieced backing as shown below. I just threw it up on my design wall to take a photo. The quilt top measures 94.5" X 104.5" so of course the backing is bigger. Yikes! That's going to be a monster to quilt! Here is a refresher on the quilt top.Here is the backing thrown up on my design wall and it's way too big. My design wall is 7'H X 8'W.Here is a finished quilt, MUCH smaller! The blocks are 4" or 4 1/2" high. I can't remember the occasion I made this but there was something going on at my guild and I just made my blocks smaller.

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ohh I'm so excited to see the quilt. Have a grand time at the retreat - and of course we'll be waiting for photos.

Sharon T in Napa said...

where is your retreat Julie? Several of us will be at Dumas Bay retreating Wednesday - Sunday!
That quilt is a MONSTER! Very pretty, but I don't know how you handle something that size on your regular machine.....