Monday, October 30, 2017

Three New Projects

A quick update:  My daughter is still having contractions, but she is home and on complete bed rest.  She is bored, but it is worth it for the babies to not be born yet!  

A year ago this month I spent the weekend in Spokane for the quilt show.  I posted pics of this year's show in my previous post.  Last year I retreated in a hotel with a friend and another friend met up with us and we went to The Quilting Bee.  We each found a jelly roll and challenged each other to make a quilt.  I am a little behind the other two on their projects, but this week I decided it was time!  I had waffled on what to make all year, but finally decided on the pattern Square Dance in the book Strip Your Stash.  I have a bolt of Kona white so that is what I used for the background.  My jelly roll is called Summer Fest by Moda.
jelly roll block
 I have all twelve blocks done and there will be white sashing between them.  The blocks are on the design wall.  There isn't even any purple in these quilt blocks!

I have two baby showers coming up this next weekend.  Due to time constraints I decided against making baby quilts and ordered gifts.  Well......  Saturday I had an epiphany.   This summer I had purchased a jelly roll, Rainy Day by Me and My Sister designs for Moda.  I love the bright cheerfulness of the fabrics.  I searched online for a pattern and found a free one on Craftsy that would work.  I pulled out the "girl" fabrics and the "boy" fabrics.  I have the two tops ready for quilting .  For the girl one I found a background fabric with small color splotches, for the boy one I used plain white. 
purple/version 46.5" square
block closeup
I thought the previous quilt turned out too big, and I didn't have as many strips for this version.  I prefer rectangular quilts, but these will make nice playmats.  I have minky in my stash in blue and a pretty flannel in turquoise, pink and purple.  Perfect!  I still to find some binding in my stash.  This is the problem of using almost a whole jelly roll in the quilts! 

blue/green/orange version  40" square


 Linking up for Design Wall Monday with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts. and Monday Making.

6 comments:

Mary said...

You were busy over the weekend. Glad Lisa is holding onto the babies. It's a scary time for you and the future parents I'm sure. I like the wonky setting for the Jelly Roll quilt with no purple, lol.

Ramona said...

Oh I like all of your projects! The blocks are great... love the design. And what fun baby quilts! The minky and flannel will finish them off nicely. Great job!

Miaismine said...

Wow! You accomplished so much this weekend! You know, when I saw the picture on the link up at Love, Laugh, Quilt I thought they were spools of thread blocks! Silly me! Such pretty quilts - great idea! Thank you for sharing!

Kate said...

All three of your projects are very bright and fun! Love your Square Dance blocks.

Judy Hansen said...

Love all the quilts you are working on - hope the baby comes at just the right time for your daughter. Do you have any trouble with minky or flannel as a backing for baby quilts - with the backing stretching? Any help would be appreciated, as I am having trouble making a with a quilt with a flannel backing. Thanks for linking up with Design Wall Monday, Judy

Christina said...

Wow! These baby quilts are cute, and perfect that you were able to use your stash. It is amazing as to what we can find online now. The minky and flannel are perfect for the backing of them. Thank you for sharing!