Sunday, July 04, 2010

Hooray for the Red, White and Blue

In keeping with today being with the 4th of July I am showing some patriotic quilts I have. The first one is the oldest of the group. In the early 90's there was a block contest at a local shop. They sold you a packet of f abric and you made a block (adding one or two fabrics if needed). I was the lucky winner of the blocks and this was my original design for a setting. I purchased additional fabrics to finish it off.This next quilt is from a set of blocks I won. Now I feel bad that I can't quite remember the story, but I think they were from one of the first WASIQ retreats in Leavenworth WA and my friend Deb gave them to me because they were too "white". I know that sounds strange, but she was more into the muddier colors, creams, etc. I love this quilt!This quilt is one of my favorites. It's called Old Glory and I had ordered it as a BOM. Several people I knew bought the book and made their own versions, at least two of them were hand quilted. Mine is hand appliqued, but machine quilted.This mini was from a swap last year on the Quilting Gallery blog. It was a spring swap and my mini came from Holland! It just happened to be our patriotic colors and the windmill is so cute.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I NEED to finish my Old Glory! I just can't seem to get beyond my error on the house though... I guess I need to just remove the applique and start over.

I love your patriotic quilts!

Cindy said...

You have some really lovely patriotic quilts. Your Old Glory is beautiful!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful quilts!

Mary said...

Beautiful patriotic quilts. Glad you saved some for our own enjoyment. Love getting the Mini swap quilts from far away. My last one came from Australia.

Joyce said...

Peaking in today to have a look at your amazing patriotic quilts. I can't sew a stitch but admire the work of others who do sew. Me, well I only play with FLOUR:-)
Joyce

Sally Jane said...

I pinned your "Old Glory" on Pinterest and now someone is asking for the pattern. Would you mind sharing where you got your pattern? Your quilts are beautiful and I hope you take it as a compliment that I pinned your Old Glory!