Sunday, January 06, 2019

Strippy Triangles

I machine quilted one of the last few quilts I had pin basted on my twelve quilt basting spree I posted about here.  I had mentioned 11 in the post, but the one pictured in the background was also basted and I showed it finished in my last post.

I made this top a few years ago.  I had picked up a FQ pack of modern fabrics and had no clue what to do with them.  I cut 2.5" strips and sewed 4 strips together and cut triangles using my 60 degree ruler.  This is what I ended up with, no pattern.  I used scraps for the border.  I quilted it with a variegated yellow King Tut thread..  I didn't have any of the fabrics left, but I found a striped fabric in my stash that I think made a great binding.  Another UFO bites the dust!

Modern Pyramids

yellow flannel backing

border and binding closeup


A few hours after hanging the quilt on my design wall I looked and saw this. My design wall is only 7 feet high (it was in a different room that had furnace ducting in the ceiling) and this quilt layed over onto the floor in length.   My dog appears out of nowhere and I don't usually even see her in my sewing room.  She is also usually very hyper.  I guess she likes the quilt, but now I have black dog hair on it! 

Linking up to Design Wall Monday.

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

And the problem is ?? I usually have black kitty hair on my quilts, so no problem for me. Just wash and dry before giving them to some one else.

Ramona said...

I really like your quilt design and may have to borrow it. For some reason I am really drawn to triangles these days. Your quilting is perfect for the design, too. Will you have another basting marathon soon?

Sally said...

Great quilt! A fun way to showcase bright fabrics. I can totally relate to the dog being attracted--our puppy wants to be in every quilt photo too.

spacer said...

Great job. I struggle with pin basting. My cutting just isn’t big enough.

Jay said...

I really like this quilt! The stripes make those triangles look very pyramid-y. And the scrappy pieced border is perfect. Nicely done.

Unknown said...

Great to see another finished UFO. You are cranking them out girlfriend. How was the Retreat?