Monday, August 27, 2018

Machine Quilting/Applique

A few months ago I finished this top.
It was a laser cut kit from Keepsake Quilting.  The pieces were just fused, not stitched.  I got it out this past week to start stitching.  I layered the top with just one layer of Quilter's Dream Request loft batting and nothing else and I have been free motion stitching around the edges, changing colors of thread.  I am using a lot of Superior Fantastico thread.  


There were some VERY, VERY thin vines that wouldn't fuse well and when I tried stitching I had a huge mess.  I kept going (stupidly) and finally decided I could not live with it.  I worked hard to get all the vines out from under one row of stitching.  Then I decided to just free motion stitch a stem.  I like it so much better!

 The cherry stems are just drawn on, but I will stitch over them and make it connected!  I still have lots of stitching to go!

After I finish this part, I will add another layer of the Request loft batting and backing and stitch all the background.  That is going to take time too!

It was back to work today,  I always forget that we really do have a lot of rules and routines!

Linking up with Design Wall Monday.

3 comments:

Ramona said...

This is such a gorgeous quilt, Julie. I would have pulled the fabric vines off and used thread, too. They look more airy and real. Do you have a spot where this will hang when you are finished? Beautiful!

Barb Neiwert said...

A beautiful quilt like this took a long time to piece/make, so it's worthy of taking a long time to quilt. It is a treasure!

Judy D in WA said...

Oh Julie, this is going to be another stunner. I love that you went with the stitched stems. Raw edge applique is so much fun!
Sorry work is interrupting your play time.