Thursday, March 08, 2018

100 days of school and a prize!

Our school district has been on a 4 day school week for several years.  We go to school about 150 days a year and today we hit our 100th day this school year.  We have 24 students in grades K-6.  Everyone participates in the 100 day event and they bring 100 of something to show.  For several years I brought 100 cookies.  Last year I brought 100 squares of fabric.

This year I brought 100 quilts!  I used to make a lot of miniatures and wallhangings and for the essence of weight I took mostly that size, but threw in a few larger ones.  They filled 4 large garbage bags I could barely lift!  I had lots of helpers spreading them out in the gym (with clean hands and in stocking feet!).  The students were all very impressed and got to pick their favorite ones and explain why and then fold them up for me.  It was a good lesson in art and design.  The first pic is of the stacks in my hallway and the other pics were by the head teacher, trying to minimize faces of students showing!




 I forgot to show the name tag I made for the retreat I went to last weekend.


The background is made up of bits of thread saved from the floor.  A friend also saves all her thread ends and gives them to me.  I went through a postcard making phase with them.  I free motioned my name (going over it a few times) and then covered the whole thing with tulle and did some stitching, punched a hole and added a flower and sewed on the ribbon.  I received the top prize of 8 fat quarters and the three judges really liked my recycling!  Below are the FQ's I received from Quilt Treasures, the retreat sponsor.




6 comments:

Mary said...

100 Quilts, Wow!! I recognize a few of them. You do such a great job quilting and getting your projects done. Cute name tag. I have some of that Dotted fabric. Congrats on the WIN.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a great way to have a quilt show!! so neat for kids to look at, I have found kids really seem to like quilts for some reason and all the better if they are allowed to touch them

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so awesome!! I bet the kids had a great time checking them all out!

Sally said...

Wow Julie, you are so generous! It must have been fun to see kids with their chosen quilts.

Barb Neiwert said...

It looks like everyone was enthused about all your quilts. What a special treat for everyone to see! Love your nametag, too!

Ramona said...

How fun this must have been for you, the students and the other adults! Great idea! I imagine your load of 100 items weighed the most of any brought in that day. :)