Monday, June 26, 2017

Wedding Gift and Retreat

In mid June we had a lot of family here for my niece's wedding.  We had a great time and it was a busy several days.  I had wanted to make my niece and husband a quilt but struggled and struggled with what to make.  I had a couple of false starts with fabric pulls.  I looked in my cupboard of unquilted tops (about 45 of them now!) and found this block robin from.... oh dear .....  2003!!!!  Yes, it has been languishing in my stash unquilted for 14 years!  It wasn't quite big enough so I found fabrics in the same colors in my stash and added a piano key border and quilted it.  It was done with a few days to spare!  She LOVES it and so does her mother.  It was also fun to see her dad, my brother, all dressed up! I added a few closeups.  A lot of the blocks were hand appliqued.  The friend who made the center Santa on yellow background passed away many years ago and I lost contact with everyone else.
Santa block robin from 2003, finally finished!




This past weekend I went to a quilt retreat in Leavenworth, WA, a Bavarian inspired tourist town.  It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive and I left a day early and took a scenic tour through central Washington collecting rows for the Row by Row Experience.  I have done it the last two years and wasn't going to this year, but I caved and I found some wonderful shops in the middle of nowhere in very small towns.  I had booked a hotel in a neighboring town for the first night as the retreat started Thursday.

The retreat was held at Mrs. Anderson's Boarding House/Dee's Country Accents quilt shop. We rented the whole building and they take all the beds out of the largest room that is separate for our sewing area.  There were 13 of us from various places in Washington and then me, the only Idaho person!  My friends and I went to Leavenworth Quilt Company to pick up their row.  Thankfully we worked on them together as one of the kits had a larger chunk of background and two of us needed more.  Others didn't work on theirs yet.  It needs a few buttons for embellishment.  My friend Mary also blogged about it.

I took two machines with me, my Pfaff Grand quilter and my regular machine.  I machine quilted two throws and took pics on the deck outside my room with the gorgeous mountains in the background.  I still need to bind them both.

This quilt was made from leftovers from two twin size quilts I made (and still don't have quilted!).  I didn't have space to do large quilts but this size worked out.  This one is quilted with mostly allover swirls.

 This one is also made from leftovers from a larger quilt (that is also not quilted, are we seeing a theme yet?).  My friend Melissa helped me figure out just to do "pseudo" straight lines.  They look a while but I could go edge to edge easily!

closeup
I also made this new Barbados Bag by Pink Sand Designs.  I made one two years ago and it's worn out!  I had a hard time selecting fabrics from my stash, but I am a purple fanatic and this is what I chose.  I have had the prints for several years.  I love all the pockets on the bag and it is a cross body bag, which I love.  The hardware is really silver.  The photo was taken at retreat on someone's cutting mat!  I bought two fobs from the quilt shop for the zippers.

 I also worked on blocks for another quilt, but they aren't together yet.

Linking up with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday.

4 comments:

Ramona said...

First, I love the quilt you finished for your nieces wedding gift. It's a beautiful Christmas quilt. Great idea to pull a UFO out and finish it for her gift. Secondly, you did ALL of the other things at a weekend retreat? I am impressed! You must not have slept. :) I've never participated in the row by row, but it might be fun with others. I haven't quilted the organic lines in a quilt, but think I will on a quilt I have waiting to be finished.

Judy D in WA said...

That quilt will become a Christmas tradition! It's fabulous. Such a sweet Auntie you are. I love that you worked your row with Mary and Mel. I'm afraid I would have stuck that one at the bottom of the stack. ;) It turned our great. Looks like you all had a great time.

Melissa said...

It was fun to sew and hang out with you this last weekend! I'm glad we all worked on the row together, and I could offer some extra background where needed. I love the Christmas quilt so much!

Mary said...

It was good that tge Quilt Shop was close enough to get more fabric. You got a lot done in 4 days. Glad we got to hang out together!