Monday, April 20, 2015

Design Wall Monday New Projects and a Finish!

My design wall is exactly the same (I MUST finish those two charity tops), but I did finish a quilt last week!  I had pre-entered it in the Palouse Patchers quilt show that was held this past weekend in Moscow, ID.  Entering it was my motivation to finish the quilt and it was down to the wire, but I made it.  I drove the quilt and a friend's entries to Moscow Friday.  I attended the show Saturday and didn't even get a picture of the quilt hanging!  My friend brought the entries back Sunday night and I was shocked to see two ribbons hanging on the quilt!
Finger Lakes Log Cabin - pieced Nov/Dec 2013 Quilted March/April 2015
Ribbons won - First in Piecing and Second in Machine Quilting
My friend Anita Brumley's quilt.  She won first in Best Use of Color and a Second in Viewer's Choice Large Quilts
photo by Anita
I fell in love with this quilt by Debbie Goetz.  She called it Bubble Gum and the pattern is called Cotton Candy Dots 2 by Amelie Scott.  I love the simplicity of the pattern with the random dots appliqued on which were added by Debbie.
 At the Quilted Posies booth I found this aqua /grayish brown bundle of FQ's.  I purchased the fabric on the right at the Island Quilter booth and 3 of the coral/orange fabrics and had the remaining 3 corals in my stash.  The fabrics at the top I removed from the pile and will be on the back of the quilt.  They were too distracting to me.  I am so anxious to make this quilt!
However I will be going to a quilt retreat this coming weekend and decided to actually read the directions for cutting out my Fire Island Hosta quilt pattern.  I am using this selection of fabrics.  I added a few more and changed one my last post about the quilt.  The light fabric is a mottled Nancy Crow gray I have had in my stash for years.  I now have most of it cut out.


 Check out more Design Wall Monday posts at Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

JanetD said...

Congratulations Julie, ribbons well deserved. It was a good show, lots of lovely quilts. I'm happy for both you and Anita. Aren't you making the Hosta with the Queen size add-on? Hope you have a wonderful time at the retreat.

Judy D in WA said...

Congratulations on your ribbons. It is an amazing quilt! The Hosta is fabulous. Can't wait to see what you do.

Mary said...

I saw a picture with you by the quilt. Nice surprise to get the Ribbona! The Bubble Gum quilt is darling.

Sharon said...

The quilt deserved those awards. It is stunning. Congratulations to you on such prize work.

Melissa said...

congratulations on the ribbons! I was wondering what you'd win :) Good luck on the Fire Island Hosta, I am still unsure if I want to do it or not, but it is a stunning quilt. I love your fabric choices for it.